bizgirl

international librarian of mystery

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Cyndi Lauper catches one


Cyndi - milliseconds from disaster
I was a big Cyndi Lauper fan when I was a little girl - she was the epitome of strong female attitude, combined with a crazed penchant for dress ups. Or, at least, that's what I think now, at the time, I thought she was just, you know, so cool.

So I figured Cyndi had faded off into some sort of pop retirement many years ago, but no, a recent news report that caught my eye indicates she's still she-bopping around the place. I figure that given the recent trend for getting aging pop stars over to New Zealand for the annual Mission Estate Music Concert (B52s, Belinda Carlisle, John Farnham), there's a good chance we might get to see her again.

Or perhaps not, given that the Mission Concert is an open air event. For poor old Cyndi, doing an outdoor concert in Boston, striving for a high note, mouth wide open and head held back, ended up with a gob full of bird crap, deposited in a million-to-one shot by a no doubt highly amused passing bird. Yuck.

The paper reports...
Lauper delicately turned away from the crowd and wiped her tongue on her shirt - and finished the set.
What a pro.