bizgirl

international librarian of mystery

Sunday, March 06, 2005

The blog of the play of the blog

Artemis invited me along to another rehearsal of the 'play-of-the-blog'.

I went along all ready to give him a piece of my mind at the outrageous liberties he had taken with the story. The preposterous ending. The outrageous love interest. The completely over-the-top characterisation of my librarian colleagues.

But then, as I watched it all the way through for the first time, it didn't seem too bad. The young Artemis character was now warming to the nasty side of his character, the beautiful version of me had, it seemed, actually managed to find my character, and Artemis, when he appeared in the middle of the third act, was positively, well, charasmatic. I was won over. But still, I had prepared a lengthy speech before arriving, and it seemed a pity to waste it. I cornered him after the rehearsal had finished, and let him have it...

"Artemis, I cannot believe what you've done with the finish!"
"What do you mean?"
"You know perfectly well. You've completely left reality behind."
"Natalie. Hello. Pot. Kettle. Black."

Hmmm, I suppose he had me there.

"Look, Natalie, it just makes for a good finish. I realise some people, like my father, think this whole play is just a ruse just so I can kiss Anna, but that change, it really just draws things to a natural conclusion."
"And you get to kiss Anna."
"Well, that was a pleasant side-effect."
"Artemis, we're not going to end up together. I am not going to kiss you."

At which point Artemis snorted, laughed, and handed me a half a dozen fresh copies of the script.

"Natalie," he said, "take this to America with you. Some light reading on the plane, perhaps. The spares are for anyone else you meet who might be interested in it."
"Um, okay. Thanks."
"Good luck at the Bloggies, by the way, Natalie. I don't think you'll win, but I'm sure you'll have fun."
"Well, gee, thanks Artemis."
"That's all right. And remember, the play is being put on before the Easter break. You'll be back by then?"
"Yes."
"Good. I'm looking forward to the blog of the play of the blog."
"Me too."
"Do you want a lift home Natalie? I have the car."
"Um, well, actually, yes, that'd be great."

And he gave me a lift home.

Vaguely continued here...